The first step for college financail aid of any kind is the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). This will determine if you're eligible for a Pell grant, a campus job at your college, and student loans. Several scholarship applications require you to file a FAFSA before you can apply for the scholarship.
Always make sure you go to this legitimate site:
There are several dangerous scam sites out there! Be careful! Be smart!!
* help sheet to create your FSA ID (you will need one AND a parent will need one) - FSA ID help / record your info
* what do I need to file the FAFSA - gather these items
* Mrs. Brockman's tips for the FAFSA - FAFSA need-to-know
* FAFSA explained - FAFSA explanation 101
* FAFSA Checklist (and Dependency FAQs) - https://www.educationquest.org/pdfs/FAFSAchecklist.pdf